2011-12-20

Runniversary (well, kinda)

My Runniversary, the real one, was last June, 1st. As a reference I use the first entry in the Runninghead.com log. I actually started one or two weeks earlier with some 2-3km runs dressed in common T-shirt with my Nike Air Pegasus 28+ 1/2 a number too small because I understood that this was the correct thing to do.

In my first year of running I did 891,6 miles, that's  74mi / month. In the 5 months and 19 days from my runniversary until today I have done 690.6 mi, that's 138.12 mi/months... and this includes 2 full months of rest (!). AT this rate I will have reach 1658 mi by my second runniversary.

I didn't remember to celebrate it back in July, so that I am celebrating it now treating myself to two pairs of new running shoes (trainers, NB 620 WRB), nice merino-wool socks and el-cheapo soft shell.

Lots of miles, two half marathons, a  10k... the rest I did after the runniversary. In fact I have done more miles and races in the 5 months after my first year than in the entire year itself.

I still recall the first 6 months or so full of pain and injuries... how I went through a period of  Chi-Running that greatly helped me with my form, how I just forgot everything learnt then and started running as I felt like.  I remember who I started running with music to forget the pain and exhaustion (Behemoth's Demigod and Evangelion), how I switched later to OM, Acid Kind and Electric Wizard to calm down and avoid breathing too fast... and then one day I found myself just running listening to my own thoughts, to the rhythm of my breathing and the sound of my steps, cars, people... I switched from kilometres to miles and I found out that it helped a lot as the distances looked less frightening than in km... until it ceased to matter. I discovered that I just love running in the snow at 5:00 AM while everybody else is warm at home. I had my fair share of knee pain and ITBS but suddenly one day I ceased having issues of any kind and I did a full 12 weeks scheme without any noticeable problem besides some blisters. But the most important thing that I found was that I was engaged in something for the rest of my life, because running is not just a hobby or a sport but a way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment