2012-01-09

P Fucking R!

My first race of the season, PWN Egmond Halve Marathon. I PR at 13:30:15.
My training time was 1:43:xx (can't recall the seconds, but was rather on the upper limit).

However comparing the times fr Egmond from Wikipedia with the ones of a pancake race like Amsterdam I noticed the interesting fact that the times were lower in Egmond than in Amsterdam.

Ah, yeah, here it is:
PWN Egmond Halve Marathon 2012 | Uitslag Enric Martinez

The course has a widespread fame of being hard here in the Netherlands so that I prepared thoroughly for the worst. There is a hellish hill and terrible dunes... well, kinda. You really have to know the Dutch people, I only have met one culture that overstates things in the same way as the Dutch: the Andalusians who are famed in Spain for that. Maybe it's that the Dutch are traditionally fishers. Jokes apart, the fact is that running at a recreative level is extremely popular in this country and I assume that most of the reports about the hardness of the course comes from recreants. The weather has been a factor in the past too, but I can't figure out why a 13.1 miler would be too much harder at -8 or -12 C.

So, here I was working out miles on the "Galopp padden" roads of loose sand meant for horses to gallop, running in trail shoes through mud, dunes and the few available hills deserving this name in my neighbourhood... Just to find out what I almost expected:

Egmond is not a pancake but the hills are perfectly doable, long but not too steep. Indeed I only lost time at the water tents ricochetting all the people who stopped to drink and trying to pass all the turtles who do not understand the concept of "slow runners keep to the right". I do not know if it is that they were already spaced out or that they were thinking they were Gbrselassie himself.

And then there is the people with headphones: Yes, I know, you look extremely fashionable with your iPhone and your headphones, there is nothing hipper, but your exciting music does not make you any faster, so: Keep out of the fucking way!!


Annoyances aside the run resulted to be incredibly fun: The beach is long, wide and the sand is compact except in a few places and the slope towards the sea is practically depreciable, it is a real pleasure to run on it. A long slope down at the very start leads to the beach, but there are a few slopes at the start where some of the slower guys were already dropping out or slowing down, the same happened in the hills except in the first one up as people (as I commented before) do not understand that they are slow and have to run on the RIGHT side. I lost more breath screaming "left, left!!" than in my end sprint.

So Dutch guys, here is a rule of thumb: If you feel that your heart is going to explode, your are coughing your lungs out and you are breathing like a steam train... it's not that you are mutating into Superman or the running version of The Hulk, it's just that you are tired and slot, thus: Keep top your fucking RIGHT and let the FAST guys pass... yes, these that come from behind, do not breath loud and scream "left! Fast traffic!" LOL.

Next year I will maybe try a 1:30:00 on this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment